It’s that time of year again – crisp air and foggy mornings, chunky knit sweaters and mittens, the scent of gingerbread and cinnamon wafting by your face, and…AHHH CHRISTMAS IS A MONTH AWAY. Whoa, grab a scoop of Rain or Shine ice cream and chill out!
Don’t worry, you can get gifts for everyone on your list at UBC Point Grey. And if the weather is less than stellar, why not make a day of it with an activity or two? Who knows, gift inspiration lies in the most unexpected places (especially for those hard-to-shop-for people). And who are we kidding, holiday shopping most always involves treating ourselves!
Discover our top picks for your holiday shopping mission at UBC Point Grey, and be merry!
UBC Farm Membership
If you have a farmer’s market fanatic close to you then we have just the gift. UBC Farm just released their never-before-seen membership, and it’s available in tiers with different perks.
Farm Gate Membership – $25 Annually
- Monthly Member Deals Day at the UBC Farm Farmer’s Market
- Invitation to annual member potluck
- Access to purchase special-edition, members only merch
- Priority access to flower CSA (community supported agriculture)
Orchard Membership – $50 Annually
All the perks in Farm Gate plus:
- Automatic entry into bi-monthly prize draw at the UBC Farm Saturday Farmers’ Market
- Early invitations to coveted events
- One free members-only merch: In 2023 – UBC Farm-designed tea towel ($15 value)
- For a limited time: one free UBC Farm-designed beeswax wrap ($18 value) during 2022 membership drive.
Hedgerow Membership – $100 Annually
All the perks in Farm Gate & Orchard plus:
- One UBC Farm designed tote bag or t-shirt
- One free seed packet or seasonal item
- Recognition on our website
- For a limited time: one free UBC Farm-designed beeswax wrap ($18 value) during 2022 membership drive.
Membership is valid for one year from date of purchase. The markets begin in June 2023 and end in November, so you’re in a good window now. But hurry — order before December 12th to get your membership card in the mail in time for the holidays!
Membership at the MOA
Since we’re talking memberships, do you have a culturally curious friend or family member? Why not purchase them an annual membership at the Museum of Anthropology? Along with free museum admission all year round it comes with loads of perks like:
- Two complimentary passes to share with family or friends
- Invitations to exhibition openings
- Invitations to MOA Members-only events
- Discounts on public and family programs
- Subscription to MOA Magazine
- 10% savings on MOA Shop purchases
- Exclusive access to MOA Journeys travel program
Plus, they’ll get discounts on admissions to other Vancouver attractions like Science World, the Vancouver Art Gallery, the VanDusen Botanical Gardens — and even the Beaty Biodiversity Museum right here at UBC! If you have friends who are a couple, membership is only $10 more for the two of them. Sorted!
We’re not sure who doesn’t like chocolate, because we aren’t friends with those people! There’s nothing that will bring a bigger smile to someone’s face than a big box of assorted, high-quality, and sustainable Rogers’ chocolates. They even come in cute festive tins featuring the works of Canadian artists.
In Vancouver, who doesn’t love to cycle? Feeling the ocean breeze in your face as you roll down the seawall dodging pedestrians is almost a rite of passage. More Bikes has everything you might need for the cyclist young and old. From powerful mountain bikes to high-end road bikes, to everything in between — even e-bikes! And if a bicycle isn’t in your budget, fear not — they have a multitude of accessories to choose from, as well as offering tune-up and repair services. Stop by More Bikes in Wesbrook Village today!
Concert Tickets at Thunderbird Arena
The Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre is more than just for the sportaholics! They host a multitude of year-round events like concerts and comedy shows too. Currently, upcoming events include:
- January 15th: Comedian Jim Gaffigan
- April 1st: Singer-songwriter keshi
- April 25th: Singer-songwriter Lewis Capaldi
- June 24th: Comedian Jimmy Carr
- June 26th: Singer-songwriter Louis Tomlinson
Be the first to know about events by following them on Twitter or visiting their calendar website page. They sometimes do social media giveaways for tickets too — check them out on Instagram at @ubctbirdarena to enter the giveaway for Jim Gaffigan tickets until Nov 29th!
A classic bottle of wine
One shall not underestimate the humble bottle of wine gift! Trying to play Secret Santa for the new person at the office you don’t yet know very well? How about your landlord that hasn’t raised your rent the allotted amount this year? Or maybe you’re looking for something to bring to a holiday dinner party. Whatever the occasion (and whatever your budget) the BC Liquor Store in Wesbrook Village has you covered. From the finest top shelf silver tequilas to that $9 bottle of red wine, you can find something for your friends, family, and yourself in one stop!
For the Yogi
The gift of yoga is a tranquil one! VNYSA Studio in Wesbrook Village has a variety of classes to suit all levels and preferences. Slow Burn, Power Hour, Flow, YogaSTRONG, Chill, and 50/50 are just a few of the classes offered here. They hold classes at several different times every day, and they always have promotions to snag a great deal! For example, they’re offering a 3-class intro pass for new members for just $55, and they also offer student discounts. If you have someone in your life who has always dreamed of becoming a yoga teacher, there’s VNYSA School of Yoga — a 200 hour yoga teacher training program that goes above and beyond with highly experienced teachers, more hands-on experience, and a greater emphasis on inclusive teaching. While you’re there, get your daily workout in and book a class for yourself!
Give the gift of coffee (or tea)!
Have a student or working professional in your life? Some sources say 50-80% of adults drink coffee daily! 🤯 Chances are, at least a few of your loved ones do, too.
Why not ease the burden on their wallets and get them a gift card to their favourite coffee shop on campus? UBC Point Grey has a variety of coffee shops like:
- Murchie’s (They have lots of other merchandise too, like teapots, coffee mugs, steepers, and even premade gift baskets and boxes like the 12 Teas of Christmas!)
- Doughgirls (more of a bakery but they do coffee too! They also have bags of housemade granola, pickled vegetables, jams, and more which make excellent stocking stuffers)
- JJ Bean (try their Christmas Blend)
- The Boulevard Coffee Roasting
- Blue Chip Café
- Bean Around the World
- Great Dane Coffee
- The Original Beanery
And definitely a few more! If you’re on campus, you’re never far from a coffee shop. A lot of them even carry bags of ground or whole bean coffee for your work-from-home fam. Don’t forget to grab a cup for yourself to fuel your busy day at UBC Point Grey!
For the person that has everything, sometimes buying them another trinket just won’t bring them the joy you hope for, especially if your love language is giving meaningful gifts. Tap into your sentimental side and make something for your loved one to cherish for years to come.
4 Cats Studio offers classes for all ages to make lots of different things like ornaments, candle holders, mugs, planters, dishes, paintings, clay wheel, and more. They have a different selection of workshops each month for adults and families, so be sure to keep up to date by subscribing to their newsletter. They even have classes, camps, and parties for kids, as well as day-long Pro-D day workshops! There’s studio celebrations each month, and you can even book private parties and team building events.
For an out-of-town friend of family member, you can purchase make-at-home art kits online or in the studio and have them shipped to their door! There’s lots to experience at 4 Cats for the artist big and small, so check out their website for more and subscribe to their newsletter for exclusive discounts.
UBC Botanical Garden has their annual holiday wreath sale happening from now to December 4th at the Shop in the Garden. Each wreath is handcrafted from Friends of the Garden and features beautiful, exotic foliage from the gardens. New wreaths are added every day and are available until supplies last. Make a pit stop from Wednesday-Sunday 10am-4:30pm!
For the techie
Need a new phone, case, or plan — or know a family member who does? UBC Point Grey has a couple options: Telus/Koodo on University Boulevard, and Fido in Wesbrook Village. Test out the hottest new phones, inquire about plans and promos, or pick up some new accessories to stash under the tree.
Food, glorious food
Food always tastes better when it’s free! Pick up a gift card to one of the incredible eateries found on campus and your recipient will be smiling from ear-to-ear (hopefully not with a mouthful of food). Some ideas:
- Jam Jar Canteen: Halal Lebanese cuisine with highly customizable wraps and bowls
- Kinton Ramen: pork, chicken, karaage, & vegetarian hearty noodle soups plus other bites. They also have a promotion from Dec 1-31 — purchase a $50 gift card and receive a $10 voucher, & purchase a $100 gift card and receive a $25 voucher!
- Rain or Shine Ice Cream: small batch local ice cream parlour with flavours like London Fog, Blueberry Balsamic, and Banana Bread. Rep the brand with their merch in the form of hats, umbrellas, sweaters and more!
- BierCraft: casual pub-style atmosphere with an impressive beer list and comfort food for days!
- DownLow Chicken Shack: famous fried chicken joint with mouthwatering sandwiches, chicken & waffles, and more. They have merch too — grab a hat, shirt, or jersey!
- Uncle Fatih’s: Pizza-lovers, unite! Full pies or by-the-slice for your eating pleasure
- Tacomio: tacos, burritos, quesadillas, oh my! The cheesy, Mexican deliciousness never stops here
For the health nut
For your gym-obsessed buddy, Body Energy Club has loads of health supplements, vitamins, protein powders, and more. Sometimes it’s a drag buying the essentials yourself, so remove the burden and put them under the tree! Pick up a smoothie for yourself while you’re there — trust us, you’ll be glad you did.
The gift of beauty
While you’re getting your holiday manicure, pick up a gift certificate for your friend who could use some me-time. They offer a variety of services like manis, pedis, shellac polish, acrylic nails, unique nail art, combos, and waxing. Check out their Instagram for yourself — they have some seriously talented techs!
Talking beauty, Shoppers Drug Mart in Wesbrook Village has an incredible beauty department with some dedicated staff to help with all things beauty and skincare! They’re getting new products in all the time and showcasing them on their Instagram page — they even have premade gift baskets if you’re running short on time. Here you can also pick up any greeting cards to accompany the gifts you’ve purchased at UBC Point Grey so far. Take a peruse while you pick up a new toothbrush!
BONUS – Cold hard cash
Although more impersonal than a gift itself, sometimes you know someone who is just impossible to shop for and/or has extremely selective taste. Or maybe you know they’re saving up for something special, like a wedding or vacation, and you’d like to contribute to the cause. In those instances, sometimes an envelope of cash is your safest bet. UBC Point Grey has several banks and credit unions like Vancity, RBC, TD, CIBC, BMO, and Scotiabank. Chances are one of those might be yours!
And there you have it! Holiday shopping doesn’t have to be a multi-day nightmare of running all over town. You can get something for almost everyone on your list at UBC Point Grey — and spend a day exploring the area and treating yourself in the process. 🎁